Shortly after my last post, my mailman arrived with January's Birchbox! I know I haven't posted a Birchbox in awhile but I'm excited about this one. It's solidly good.
If you're not familiar with Birchbox or you're just joining me for the first time, here's the rundown about it:
Birchbox is one of my favorite monthly beauty subscription sampling services. It's $10/month for around 5 deluxe beauty samples. It's a great way to discover new brands. If you're a product junkie like me, and hate committing to new products, this is the perfect subscription. You can review the items you get each month for points. Gather up enough points and get $$$ off in the Birchbox shop! If you want to sign up for Birchbox, feel free to click on my referral link here. I'll get 50 Birchbox points for every person that joins!
To view other Birchboxes I've gotten and showcased on my blog, click here.
Each month, they give Birchbox a theme. This month's theme is "Go Time."
Here's what the enclosed postcard said:
Happy January! This year, we're flipping resolutions on their head. Forget giving things up - in 2014, we're taking on more: more things to try, to conquer, to integrate into our lives. New products - in the form of this month's samples - are just the beginning. We'll be bringing you plenty of inspiration, from must-try beauty trends to an energy-boosting 10-minute workout that you can do anywhere.
We've also created some very pin-able cards with suggestions to keep you motivated and happy this month and beyond. We hope you like them as much as we do (which is a lot!).
Here's to an amazing 2014!
Katia, Hayley & the Birchbox Team
This month I got some really nice samples, and they're all nicely sized!
(I know the lighting might be weird, but I couldn't get enough of the afternoon sunlight today.)
Alright, so here's what I got:
- Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Creme: Rich in olive oil, this creamy frizz-tamer gives strands all-day shimmer. Smooth in a nickel-sized amount through dry or damp hair before styling. Okay, this is only the 293847329th sample of Fekkai's Glossing Creme I have, but this is only the second I've gotten that is this large. This is a cult favorite hair product and I've been using it for years. It's got olive oil in it which is great for the hair, and a little bit goes a really long way for making your hair look soft, smooth, and shiny. I'm currently working through a large sample of this now, so this may get set aside or given away.
- Full Size: 4oz for $19.99|Sample Value: 1.6oz, valued at $7.99
- Harvey Prince Journey eau de Toilette: Intriguing around-the-world scent with notes of Indian tuberose and Japanese orange flower. Spritz onto pulse points. Cue the wanderlust. I've received a few Harvey Prince perfume samples before and really enjoyed them. Journey is a big, bright, beautiful and light floral that opens up warm on the skin. Notes of tuberose and mandarin make you feel like you could just hop on a plane and fly away. It dries down to a warm sandalwood and clove, but it's not the sandalwood and clove you're used to. It keeps the warmth and lightness of the flowers and it's just absolutely perfect for these dreary winter months. I will definitely be revisiting this one often throughout the month.
- Full Size: 50ml for $55.00|Sample Value: About 2ml, valued at $2.20
- Burt's Bees Intense Hydration Day Lotion With Clary Sage: Burt's Bees has come a long way since the early '80s when they made all-natural beeswax candles in Maine. Now the brand is known for its supernatural, supereffective products. Their latest wonder is this deeply hydrating moisturizer, which keeps skin supple and flake-free with clary sage, a botanical known for its protective, healing qualities. I'm a fan of Burt's Bees for their natural products that aren't tested on animals. I'm also pretty wild about protecting bees and bee habitats everywhere, and I know that purchases of Burt's Bees products help the bees. :) Soapbox aside, this is a lovely, thick moisturizer that smells clean and herbal. It made my dry skin look plumped up right away and that's what I'm looking for in a moisturizer! Birchbox was kind enough to include a $3 off coupon.
- Full Size: 50g for $18.00|Sample Value: 7g, valued at $2.52
- Nail Rock Glitter: The UK brand's two-step system for the sparkliest mani ever. Accent nail, anyone? Use two coats of polish. Dip wet nails into glitter pot, let dry 20 minutes, and shine on. I've seen these kits around but have never picked one up for myself. I'll definitely try it out, but glitter is messy so I'm kind of wary. The glitter color is GORGEOUS, though. I included a picture below! Luckily I received a blue color, which is one of my favorites. I'll definitely have to post my results!
- Full Size: $7.00 for one kit|Sample Value: FULL SIZE! $7.00
- Lastly, the 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara. All-natural lash conditioning wonder that thickens and lengthens with real fruit pigments. Use two coats for extra volume. The nonirritating formula is ideal for sensitive eyes. I'm a total mascara addict, and I'm a big fan of the 100% Pure line for using all plant-based ingredients. I love their sugar scrubs! Below I included some pictures. You can see how dramatic a change I saw from two coats of the mascara. I wore it all day and it didn't flake, smudge, or make my lashes feel crispy. Plus, it smells like blueberries - absolutely intoxicating! I definitely will be purchasing a full size of this one.
- Full Size: 7g for $18.00|Sample Value: 3g, valued at $7.71
So there you have it!
My Birchbox for this month was worth a total of $27.42!
That's almost 3 times the $10 I paid. I really loved the mascara, the perfume, and the moisturizer.
What did you receive in your Birchbox?