Hi everyone! I hope you are all staying warm and cozy!
Another Arctic cold front is moving through Ohio and it is just bitterly cold today. I only have one day off this week so if these pictures seem a bit hurried, that's why! I wanted to show you the awesomeness that is the January 2014 Beauty Bar Sample Society box.
If you're new to my blog or just want a refresher, Sample Society is a beauty subscription sampling service offered by BeautyBar.com. They've teamed up with the folks at Allure to deliver five beauty samples to your door for $15 a month. The samples are generally deluxe size - meaning you can get more than one use out of them! The best part? Each month, you get a coupon code for $15 off a $50 purchase - as long as a brand from that month's box is in your order. Each box also comes with a mini-magazine from Allure, with helpful tips and tricks (often related to the products in that month's box). I've been subscribing since their first month - March 2012. I have been impressed with every single box. If you want to check out what I've gotten in other Sample Society boxes, feel free to click here!
This month's box was all about Taking Care. "The New Year is here! If you're anything like us, you're probably in need of a little post-holiday TLC. Pamper yourself with nourishing nail and lip treatments, and boost your mood (partied out?) with a new uplifting fragrance. All our best for a beautiful '14.
Here's what was inside that lovely black box:
1. StriVectin Present Perfect: Packed with protective antioxidants, this ultra-light cream helps skin look younger, firmer, and vibrantly healthy. I have been using this under my foundation lately to give me a great base. It's creamy and sinks into the skin well without any greasy residue. I'm always thankful for StriVectin samples as the brand is a bit pricey for me! (Full Size: $59.00 for 1.7oz | Sample Value: .25oz, valued at $8.68)
2. Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Eau de Toilette: Famously inspired by the scent of water on a woman's skin, Issey Miyake's signature fragrance is fresh, sophisticated and sensual - the epitome of feminine. This fragrance is light and airy and quite pretty. If this is what I smell like with water on my skin, I'm all about it. It's a very white, aquatic floral, with hints of rose and lotus. I don't love it as much as I loved Harvey Prince's Journey, but it's a nice everyday fragrance. Light and work-appropriate. (Full Size: $72.00 for 1.7oz | Sample Value: .02oz, valued at $0.85)
3. butterLONDON Handbag Holiday Cuticle Oil: Dry, chapped cuticles have finally met their match in this vitamin-rich formula, free of formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP. I'm hoping a cuticle moisturizer would be free of Formaldehyde. Apparently some are not. All joking aside, this is an absolutely lovely cuticle oil and I was so excited to see Sample Society had sent the full size. (Hint: it's as expensive by itself as the entire Sample Society monthly box is.) This smells..tropical, maybe. Kind of coconutty but it's a little fruity, too. I found that just a dot of it on each cuticle moisturizes for hours and makes my cuticles look much less beaten up. Lovely stuff. (Full Size: .6oz for $15.00 | Sample Value: FULL SIZE! $15)
4. Orlane Paris Extreme Line Reducing Lip Care: Pucker up: this intensely hydrating treatment fights lines and wrinkles while also plumping your pout. This stuff is interesting. I've never really seen any kind of anti-aging product for the lips in these sample boxes. Which really is quite funny as the lips are some of the first places you show signs of aging. This is a light balm you rub on your lips and it helps prevent lines. I did feel and notice a bit of a plumping effect. It tingled, but it wasn't over the top. My lips did look a bit fuller due to the plumping. (Full Size: $75 for 0.5oz | Sample Value: .1oz, valued at $7.50)
5. Stila Cosmetics Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Beso: Looking for a long-wearing lip color that doesn't disappoint? This full-coverage matte formula combines enduring color payoff with a light-as-air feel. Okay Stila, I see you. I absolutely love reds, especially reds that I don't have to do much with. This formula applied like a lipgloss, but then dried down to a beautiful, retro matte finish. It felt light as air, for real. I didn't experience any drying until about ten hours in when I re-prepped and reapplied. This stayed put through a day of coffee, breakfast, lunch, coffee, and dinner. AMAZING. I even included a picture of an example FOTD below. Definitely buying this in full size! (Full Size: 3ml for $22.00 | Sample value: 1ml, valued at $7.33)
|Stila Stay All Day in Beso. This was at the end of the day. You could see my foundation has faded in places but the Stila stays strong!|
There you have it! My January Sample Society box was worth $39.36!
Considering I only paid $15 for it, I'd say it was a good deal!